A short haiku about proofs:
We did proofs this
week.
I finished them
all quite fast.
I still have more
work.
Assignment 2 is
officially over. Surprisingly, I found it easier relative to the first
assignment. With proofs, once you figure out the crucial step, the rest of the
proof writes itself. The crucial step is easy to find in most
questions due to the nature of the question. They have
obvious answers as to whether they are true or false which presents huge hints as
to what the crucial step should be. Nevertheless
there were some questions that took intensive thought and pen/paper to work
out.
What I found
challenging was incorporating the definition of MOD and GCD
into the proofs. I've always had a hard time expressing my ideas clearly on
paper. I'd say that I've improved
since the beginning of the course.
The next part of the course will be focusing on the complexity of algorithms;
this is probably one of the most important aspects of computer science since a
program’s effectiveness is not solely based on functionality, but heavily on
efficiency. I had a decent start to this next portion of the course, I
understand the thought process that must go through one’s head when engaging a
complexity problem. However, I’m not 100% clear on the part where you simplify
the equation to only one variable and the part where you over count a variable.
(n – 1 into n). I’ll keep working on it,
but I’m going to end this post here. On a side note, I really need to keep up
with these posts; the last few weeks have been quite hectic and I never got
around to updating my Slog.
Hmmm, need to work on my time management.
Hi Shihan, I'm not sure what you mean by simplifying equations to one variable, can you give an example?
ReplyDelete